By Martin Whittingham
This e-book is the 1st of its type to concentration solely at the Qur’anic interpretation of Abu Hamid al-Ghazali (1058-1111), a towering determine of Sunni Islam. Martin Whittingham explores either al-Ghazali’s hermeneutical equipment and his interpretations of specific Quranic texts, and covers al-Ghazali’s mystical, criminal and theological concerns.
Divided into parts:
- part one examines al-Ghazali’s criminal and Sufi theoretical discussions
- part asks how those theories relate to his perform, analysing the one 3 of al-Ghazali’s works that are centrally fascinated by examining specific Qur’anic passages: Jawahir al-Qur’an (The Jewels of the Qur’an); Al-Qist as al-mustaqim (The right Balance); and Mishkat al-anwar (The area of interest for Lights).
Providing a brand new aspect of entry to the works of al-Ghazali, this booklet should be welcomed by means of students and scholars of Islamic reviews, non secular stories, hermeneutics, and an individual attracted to how Muslims comprehend the Qur’an.
Read Online or Download Al-Ghazali and the Qur'an: One Book, Many Meanings (Culture and Civilization in the Middle East) PDF
Similar religious philosophy books
In "The Frankfurt tuition on Religion," Eduardo Mendieta has introduced jointly a suite of readings and essays revealing either the deep connections that the Frankfurt college has consistently maintained with faith in addition to the numerous contribution that its paintings has to supply. instead of being unanimously opposed in the direction of faith as has been the got knowledge, this assortment exhibits the good range of responses that exact thinkers of the college built and the seriousness and class with which they engaged the middle spiritual concerns and significant non secular traditions.
The simplest to be had advent to the political considered Augustine, if to not Christian political concept ordinarily. incorporated are beneficiant decisions from urban of God, in addition to from many lesser-known writings of Augustine.
Answering the query 'How is fruitful dialogue attainable? ', this publication addresses the vital philosophical factor of the way cause can be understood and the way it's constrained. This research argues that the knowledge of dialogue in accordance with which it inevitably begins from putative common norms and principles for argumentation is difficult, between different purposes when you consider that such principles are unfruitful in contexts the place there are significant disagreements similar to faith.
- Finite and Infinite Goods: A Framework for Ethics
- God’s Human Future: The Struggle to Define Theology Today
- V 9 The Life and Teachings of the Father of Modern Humanism: John Hassler Dietrich (The Life and Teachings of the Father of Modern Humanism.)
- Eighteenth-Century Dissent and Cambridge Platonism: Reconceiving the Philosophy of Religion (Routledge Studies in the Philosophy of Religion)
Additional info for Al-Ghazali and the Qur'an: One Book, Many Meanings (Culture and Civilization in the Middle East)
Al-Ghazali and the Qur'an: One Book, Many Meanings (Culture and Civilization in the Middle East) by Martin Whittingham